Sunday, October 19, 2008

A busy weekend!

So I have a lot here!
Thursday night my friends and I went to a premiere screening of Spike Lee's Miracle at St. Anna as a part of the London BFI Film Festival, which I was pretty excited about because I'd wanted to see it since mid-August. So, when we got to the theater we couldn't actually get in because there was a huge crowd outside looking at these limos. We didn't really know what was going on but we kind of figured that maybe there was another movie on before ours and that someone had come to see it and were now leaving the theater. So we decided to get Ben & Jerry's before the movie rather than stare at some poor actors. When we finally got into the theater we were a little bummed out because our seats were in the second row of the theater and the movie was getting close to 15 minutes late starting. Then all of a sudden this woman came on stage and started talking about the movie and how excited they were to have it in the festival and then welcomed the director... Spike Lee.... to come on stage to talk about his movie... about 10 feet away from where we were sitting. So that was incredibly cool, first of all to see Spike Lee, but also to hear him speak about his own work before we saw it. It was just a very cool and jarring experience. The movie itself is absolutely phenomenal and I totally recommend it, its probably the best war movie I've ever seen.
Then Friday morning was the tip off to an incredibly busy week. My friends and I are playing hostesses to 5 different people over the next week. So Friday morning our friend Amber arrived from Paris, where she is studying. Friday we all just hung around the East End and caught up. Saturday Hanna, Amber and I went to the Tower of London for the day, which was pretty cool. I wish we had had more time to spend there, we woke up pretty late so we arrived around 1:30 and it's such a huge place. I think you could easily spend a full day there, there was just so much crammed into that one space! Today we went to the Tate Modern which was pretty cool as well. I'm not the biggest fan of modern art but I really enjoyed myself and really liked a lot of the art that we saw. The museum itself I think may be one of the ugliest and scariest buildings I've ever seen. It just looks like this huge, looming ominous building. I felt like I was going into a prison. The inside isn't as horrible, but it isn't particularly welcoming either. You could really tell that they do a lot of moving things around because the building is set up almost like a giant loading dock.. so I was a little disappointed with that. I feel like art should be in a more welcoming setting, seeing as how it tends to intimidate people on its own without the help of brutalist architecture.
I'm not entirely sure what are plans are for tomorrow, but Amber leaves in the evening around the same time that my roommate from school Nina and my friend Vanessa are arriving with another girl from Muhlenberg to stay till Thursday. They'll leave on Thursday night and then Justin is coming to visit on Friday for the weekend! Luckily I've finished all my school work for the week so I can just enjoy everyone's company but its going to be pretty crazy if not really fun!

No comments: