Sunday, September 21, 2008

Tourism!

So I've managed to survive the first week! It feels like I've been here for much longer and I'm really enjoying myself :) Yesterday was the first day that we really ventured out to look around the center of London, my friend Hanna hurt her foot so she was out of commission for a bit so we really stuck around campus getting set up last week. But yesterday we ventured out to St. Paul's Cathedral. I'd been there before but it was great to go again. On the way to the Cathedral we came through this little square called Paternoster Square that I really loved. Hopefully before it gets too cold I'll be able to go back there and write or do work.

Me in front of the Paternoster Column, in Paternoster Square
We climbed all the way to the top, which is somewhere over a thousand stairs so it was a bit of a hike. But it was completely worth it, the view from both the stone and golden galleries are absolutely incredible. We also went down to the Crypt and looked around and we could hear the choir practicing through some of the doors so that was pretty neat. Also right before we went into the Cathedral we saw a wedding party on the stairs on one of the sides, so they must've been married about 30 minutes before we arrived. So the three of us then spent a little bit of time thinking about how cool/ expensive that would be.
After St. Paul's we went across the street to this place called Yo! Sushi, it's a little sushi chain where they make little bowls that go on a conveyor belt and you sit at the bar and pick what you want as it passes, and it is priced by the color of the bowl.
Today we wandered around Kensington Park, which was really wonderful. We walked around Kensington Palace and saw the Sunken Garden. We hunted down Peter Pan and then went to the Princess Diana Memorial Fountain. It was probably the most incredible and wonderful park I've ever been to, there were people and families everywhere. Everyone had their dog and they were running around chasing squirrels. We even saw one little teeny Chihuahua near the Peter Pan statue named "Marmite" who looked like a little squirrel who kept stopping to try and eat cigarette butts.. for some reason his parents didn't have him on a leash and he kept trailing behind because he was so small, so they had to keep doubling back to get him. Needless to say Marmite got a good talking to, but he was very cute.
Everything is going well! I've sent you all emails to see more of my pictures at snapfish.com, if there is a problem let me know and I'll invite you again! I'm struggling with formatting this with pictures in a way I like so that's probably the best bet to see pictures of what I'm doing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i fully support the coming of kc luce to italy. get on a plane. right now.